New Coach Breaths New Life into Boys Basketball Team

Your Winchester Thurston Boys Basketball team is ready to hit the court and kick off its 2016-2017 season as new head coach Jordan Marks takes the helm of a talented team that finished last season with a 12-8 record. Coach Marks most recently coached for Sto-Rox High school, but he has plenty of experience working with the coaching staffs of top flight basketball schools including the University of Pittsburgh. Marks has already begun translating his knowledge and passion for the game into his new coaching position by teaching drills and offensive schemes used by collegiate and professional teams. Assistant coaches Chris Waruszewski and Kevin Miller round off a very experienced coaching staff that is committed to getting the most out of each and every player on this somewhat inexperienced Bears roster.

Sharpshooting Malik Potter, a player who averaged 17 points per game last year and was named one of the Post-Gazette’s five Single A  “Players to Watch,” and high-flying Dorian Epps are looking to develop into a dominant duo this season as the only seniors who played significant varsity time last season. On Epps’ tremendous athletic potential, Coach Marks explains, “Dorian can be the best big man in all of Single A. By blocking shots and being strong around the rim, he can make game changing plays every time he steps on the court.” Returning point guard Danny Sentner is ready to take his game to the next level, and his hard work over the offseason has shown in his improved three point shooting percentage during the first few weeks of practice. After losing Tyler Coleman, Ali Chaudry, Andre Curtis, and Scott Steiner to graduation, there are a lot varsity minutes that need to be filled by players with little to no varsity experience. Seniors Geoffrey Cohen and Jacob Dubner are looking to add size and versatility to the varsity squad, and sophomores David Canavan, Tyler Perry, John Wittig, and Eli Harrison have shown tremendous improvement since their freshman years and have definitely earned significant playing time on the varsity squad.

Ever since the first day of open gyms, Coach Marks has worked to create a culture of accountability within the boys basketball team. Every member of the team, from all-section superstars to freshmen fighting for playing time on junior varsity, understands that if he makes a mistake, he shouldn’t shrug it off and hope for better luck next time. Every member of the team knows that he has to do everything in his power to make up for a mistake and will the team to victory. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has picked the boys basketball team to finish fourth in Single A this season, but with an innovative coach, a talented core, and a drive to be the best, this Bears squad has its eyes on the championship.